Legal Secretarial Diploma
Designed for: Individuals who wish to gain essential office and computer skills to become a legal secretary.
Objectives: To provide you with the essential skills to start a career as a legal secretary with confidence.
• Computer Keyboard Skills – Learn how to touch type accurately, using the correct keyboard technique.
• Keyboard Speed Development – Develop your typing speed to improve productivity using graded copying exercises and timed dictations. A number of stages are available, taking you up to a speed of 70 wpm.
• Effective Business Communication – Learn to communicate effectively in business – by letter, email, telephone and personal presentations.
• Business Document Production – Develop skills and understanding of routine and complex business documents.
• Audio Transcription – Learn to type from audio dictation using a variety of correspondence e.g. memos, reports and letters.
• Microsoft Word – Learn word processing skills to a good business standard.
• Microsoft Word Expert – Learn advanced word processing skills including mail merge, graphs, macros, creating an index, table of contents and more.
• Microsoft Excel – Learn spreadsheet skills to a good business standard.
• Microsoft PowerPoint – Gain competency in creating slide presentations. Areas covered include formatting, inserting tables, pictures, sound, hyperlinks, and applying transition and timing effects to a slide show.
• Microsoft Outlook – Learn how to share, manage and schedule information electronically.
• Legal Secretarial – An Introduction – Gain an introduction to the work, responsibilities, practice, and structure of a legal office, including rules and guidelines, terminology, legal personnel, the court system and documentation covering different legal specialisations.
• Legal Secretarial Modules – TWO of your choice. Discuss the options (see Elective Subjects) available with your course advisor.
Recommended Electives – choose ONE:
• Introduction to Computers
• Create, Manage and Integrate Files
• Internet Skills
• Microsoft Access
• Office 2007 Fast (Modules 1-3)
• Office 2007 Fast (Modules 4-6)
• Health and Safety Essentials
• Go–Make a Difference!
• Legal Secretarial – Conveyancing
• Legal Secretarial – Wills & Probate
• Legal Secretarial – Criminal Law
• Legal Secretarial – Company Law
• Legal Secretarial – Family Law
• Legal Secretarial – Civil Litigation
• OCR examinations (participating centres only)
The above are recommended electives for this Diploma. Alternative subjects may be chosen. Please discuss the options with your Course Advisor.
• Equip you to start a new career
• The flexibility and value of a self-study course designed to enable you to work at your own pace
• Personalised workbooks to use as a reference guide on completion of your training
• The opportunity to gain a Pitman Training Diploma that is recognised nationally and internationally by employers
Guideline Learning Time: 7 weeks full-time* (200 hours flexi study)
* based on 20-30 hours a week